Transforming Construction Second Round CR&D and Demonstrators competitions
Before you contact us, we recommend that you follow the suggested links in the Innovate UK competition scope, read the Q&As and find out more about the Construction Innovation Hub.
Innovate UK competition scope links
- The Transforming Construction Challenge
- Project 13 methodologies and Gemini Principles
- Government Departments and Arm’s Length Bodies listed in the TIP Strategy or TIES.
- Construction Leadership Council (CLC) members and work programmes
- i3P and BuildOffsite members and programmes
- Active Building Centre and its partners
- Infrastructure Clients Group members.
Please also read the following Q&As to find answers to common questions related to the Innovate UK CR&D and Demonstrator competitions and the Construction Innovation Hub.
About the Construction Innovation Hub
The Construction Innovation Hub forms a central part of the Construction Sector Deal, with £72m of Grant Funding from UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) to help deliver the ambitions of the Transforming Construction Challenge. Our mission is to be a catalyst for transforming the UK construction sector through manufacturing technologies and digital ways of working – boosting productivity, exports and asset performance to benefit society.
The Construction Innovation Hub is running:
- A manufacturing programme to develop the manufacturing design, process engineering and quality control to support platform or “kit of parts” approaches to construction, especially for social infrastructure
- A digital programme to develop the information management landscape, digital twins for lifetime asset management and the UK BIM framework
- A performance programme looking at component validation, digital compliance and whole life value.
This technical work is supported by:
- Research to understand the current capacity of government clients and the supply chain to adopt new delivery models
- Engagement with industry and support for industry to adopt these new models
- Practical demonstrators
- Deployment solutions looking at commercial, skills and digital needs for scale-up.
The Construction Innovation Hub brings together world-class expertise from:
- The Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC): MTC already has a proven track record developing new technologies and manufacturing systems for a range of other sectors including Food and Drink, General Industrial, Defence, Automotive and Aerospace, and is promoting the advantages of adapting new technologies like automation, robotics and virtual reality for the benefit of the construction industry
- BRE: an international, multi-disciplinary, building science and organisation with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure through testing, research and knowledge generation, and their application
- Centre for Digital Built Britain: a partnership between the Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy and the University of Cambridge to deliver a smart digital economy for infrastructure and construction for the future.