The Construction Innovation Hub’s Platform Design Programme is developing a platform construction system consisting of a standardised kit of parts that we believe will be able to deliver social infrastructure buildings.
We are working in partnership with both Government and Industry in its development. By working with our clients we can determine the needs for these buildings and incorporate them in the Platform specification and development of the designs.
Our research with partners will be confirming that the best type of building for a platform based approach has:
- Floor to ceiling heights of up to 3m
- Floor spans of no more than 9 or 12m
- Up to 4 storeys
- Flexible usage
The benefits to a platform based approach are varied and include:
- Improved assurance of buildings
- Reduced whole life costs
- Improved health and safety
- Reduction in delivery time
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Higher level of lifetime build performance