Acceptable Use Policy
This acceptable use policy sets out the terms between you and us under which you may access our website, mobile applications and digital platforms (“the Services”). For the purposes of this acceptable use policy “we”, “us”, “our” and “TCA” means the Transforming Construction Alliance, a consortium between three companies as listed below:
• Building Research Establishment Limited (“BRE”), company number 03319324;
• The Manufacturing Technology Centre Limited (“MTC”), company number 06815480;
• The Chancellor, Masters and Scholars of the University of Cambridge (trading as “Centre for Digital Built Britain” or “CDBB”).
You may use the Services only for lawful purposes. You may not use the Services:
• in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
• in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
• for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
• to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards.
• to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
• to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
• not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
• any part of the Services;
• any equipment or network on which the Services are stored;
• any software used in the provision of the Services; or
• any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
We may from time to time provide interactive services on the Services, including, without limitation:
• chat rooms;
• bulletin boards;
• online training courses, conferences or seminars;
• comments features;
• live stream video features; and
• blog services.
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on the Services, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on the Services, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not fool-proof. Minors who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to the Services (“contributions”), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit and the letter of the following standards. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
• be accurate (where they state facts).
• be genuinely held (where they state opinions).
• comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
• contain any material which is defamatory of any person;
• contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
• promote sexually explicit material;
• promote violence;
• promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
• infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
• be likely to deceive any person;
• be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
• promote any illegal activity;
• be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
• be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
• be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
• give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; and
• advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Suspension and termination
We will determine, in our discretion, whether there has been a breach of this acceptable use policy through your use of the Services. When a breach of this policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
• immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Services;
• immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you to the Services;
• issue of a warning to you;
• legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach;
• further legal action against you;
• disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this acceptable use policy. The responses described in this policy are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
Changes to the acceptable use policy
We may revise this acceptable use policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you. Some of the provisions contained in this acceptable use policy may also be superseded by provisions or notices published elsewhere on the Services.